Affiliate Marketing Disclosure
As the site grows and takes up more and more of my time, cost recovery has come into sharper focus. The challenge is doing this while maintaining my reputation as an unconflicted blogger. Ultimately, I decided the best way forward is via affiliate programs. Read on to see how they work and how you may be affected:
- A product or service I mention in a blog post is hyperlinked in a special way that identifies to the merchant that you have clicked through specifically from my site.
- If you then complete a purchase through the link on my site, I may get paid a small commission.
- Regardless of this potential revenue, you will never pay above and beyond what you would otherwise pay in visiting the affiliated merchant via other means, including visiting their site directly.
For example, say I’m talking about a hotel and mention the fact that I booked it via hotels.com or agoda.com (affiliate links!). You then click through that link out of curiosity and some time down the track, actually make a booking. I may earn a commission based off of this. The cost you pay would have been the same had you surfed to Agoda/Hotels.com’s website directly. This is just like how word of mouth – with a referral – works in real life.
At the moment, I am affiliated with three main partners: the aforementioned Agoda (via the Viglink network) & Hotels.com (via CJ.com), as well as Klook. You’ll know you’re clicking through to an affiliated link if you see certain strings in the hyperlink: ‘redirect.viglink’ (for Agoda), ‘jdoqocy’/’anrdoezrs’/’tkqlhce’ (for hotels.com) or a ‘?aid=7672’ at the end of any Klook hyperlink.
Why am I not affiliated (at the moment) with any other brand? Simple: I don’t use them personally, so why would I recommend them to you, my readers? Should be obvious, but transparency is never just for transparency’s sake.
What about my reputation for being a completely non-conflicted food blogger?
I’m glad you asked! Funnily enough, the problem is actually a non-problem. Restaurants do not run affiliate programs and the abovementioned partners have nothing to do with driving traffic to specific restaurants. In other words, my main competency is unaffected, while my travel recommendations are affiliated. As an example, I may include an affiliate link for a booking site that allows you to book a specific restaurant, but that would be a partnership between me and the booking platform, not the restaurant. Similarly, I may be talking about a restaurants in Paris as part of a travel series on France, but any affiliate links would be about hotels and other activities you can do while in Paris.
As per section 3.1 of my Media Policy, I do not accept restaurant invitations. However, there may be the once-in-a-blue-moon occasion when I do receive an invitation and have chosen to accept, or have received non-monetary benefits that was unasked for. An example would a restaurant visit that ended up with me receiving a free dish (say, because I was recognised as a food blogger).
In such cases, I will refer to this section in the interests of full transparency.
- I (and possible guests) was invited, free of charge or cost-subsidised, to the event/restaurant/travel experience. In all cases, the exact nature of compensation will be disclosed in the post itself.
- Any commentary in such posts are strictly my own, based on what I personally experienced at the event. There exists the very real possibility that I was furnished with special treatment, whether materially or otherwise, and which I may otherwise not have known had I been in attendance as a ‘normal customer’. Instances where I suspect that this has occurred will be noted in the post.
- I blog for my readers, not the industry.
If you have any questions about anything on this page (or anything really), feel free to drop a comment or an email!
Last Updated: 05/01/2019
SECTION 1: WHO WE ARE
I’m Still Hungry is operated solely by Michael Shen. All references to ‘we’ refer to the website https://imstillhungry.net but in practice, refers to Michael Shen. Privacy information is controlled by Michael Shen.
SECTION 2: WHAT PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT AND WHY WE COLLECT IT
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser to help prevent spam.
To assist with sending you requested information, we use MailChimp to collect and store your email address. You may opt out of the collection of your data by:
- Unsubscribing (we will remove your data) and
EMBEDDED CONTENT FROM OTHER WEBSITES
Articles on this site may include embedded and affiliated content (e.g. hotels.com, klook.com, , etc.).
Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
We use Google analytics to record information about the pages a user has seen, for example the URL of the page, time of day, device used, etc. The information that we collect anonymized and sent to Google Analytics for analysis. Google Analytics mainly uses first-party cookies to report on visitor interactions on this website. Users may disable cookies or delete any individual cookie. In addition, Google Analytics supports an optional browser add-on that – once installed and enabled – disables measurement by Google Analytics for any site a user visits. Note that this add-on only disables Google Analytics measurement. Google Analytics also collects Internet Protocol (IP) addresses to provide and protect the security of the service, and to give website owners a sense of which country, state, or city in the world their users come from (also known as “IP geolocation”). See this page for Google Analytics security and usage of data: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245
SECTION 3: WHO WE SHARE YOUR DATA WITH
The data collected may be shared with:
- Service providers and others who help with our business operations and assist in the delivery of our products and services including, but not limited to, application development, site hosting, maintenance, data analysis, infrastructure provision, IT services, customer service, email delivery services, payment processing, marketing, analytics, and enforcement of our Terms of Service Agreement and other agreements;
- Other users of the site to identify you to anyone to whom you send messages or make comments through the Services;
- Persons or entities with whom you consent to have your Personal Data shared;
- Third parties in order to prevent damage to our property (tangible and intangible), for safety reasons, or to collect amounts owed to us;
- Merchants and payment processors;
- Third parties as we believe necessary or appropriate, in any manner permitted under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence
We do this to:
- comply with legal process;
- respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence;
- protect our operations;
- protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others;
- and allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- We will never sell, rent, or lease your Personal Data to a third party.
SECTION 4: HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR DATA
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained for one year. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
Analytics data is retained indefinitely.
SECTION 5: WHAT RIGHTS YOU HAVE OVER YOUR DATA
If you have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you.
This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
SECTION 6: WHERE WE SEND YOUR DATA
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service. Third parties have access to your data as noted within this agreement.
USERS UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE
Our Services are not directed to and we do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 13. If we become aware that a child under the age of 13 has provided us with Personal Data, we will take steps to remove such data. If you become aware that your child has provided us with Personal Data without your consent, please contact us at [email protected]
By using the Services, you are representing to us that you are not under the age of 13.
PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
We use reasonable and appropriate physical, electronic, and administrative safeguards to protect personal data from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction, taking into account the nature of the Personal Data and risks involved in processing that information.
NOTICE AND CHOICE
ii. See section 5 to remove your data from this site.